Join us for a basic introduction on how to make mead
Are you interested in learning how to make Mead? Well, you’re not alone! Mead was produced in ancient times throughout Europe, Africa, and Asia. So, what are you waiting for, you have the Honey, all you need now is some basic equipment / ingredients and some time.
We are runninig a basic mead making course which has an attendee limit of 6 people max. This is going to be hands on so you are required to purchase and bring along equipment and ingredients so you can participate.
The mead that we will be crafting on the day is a Semi Sweet Traditional Oak Mead. This is a great starting mead to get you going.
- Date: 21st of August 2022
- – Second date added – 25th of August 2022
- Time: 10am
- Location: Brighton
- Registration: Both Events are now FULL
You need to purchase and bring:
- Demijohn 5L
- Silicon Bung (to fit 5L demijohn)
- 1.8 kg Honey
- Mangrove Jack’s M05 Yeast
- Wine Yeast Nutrient
- French Oak Chips
- 5L Purified water – Pick up from Woolworths or Coles.
These items can be purchased from Brewing shops, but you can find below two brew shops that have supported the club in the past and I am sure they will be happy with your support in return. You should expect that it will cost approximately $50 for this basic starter list. Other than the listed items that you need to purchase and bring along, there is no other costs for the event.
There are additional items that you may choose to purchase if you wanted to, but they will NOT be needed for the mead making course.
- An additional Demijohn, bungs and airlocks
- Easy Start Mini Siphon for racking and filling bottles.
- Funnels to help pour contents into the demijohn.
- Hydrometer and Testing Cylinder to test the gravity of the mead and potential Alcohol %
One of the best things about this course is that you will have all the gear to not only make your first batch but to make additional batches to try out your new skills.
Another benefit is that you can enter your mead into the Redcliffe and Dayboro shows to maybe take out the bragging rights with your first-place mead!
Remember there are only 6 spots available in this session so get in quick.
Mead Equipment Suppliers
Hoppy Days Brewing
1/8 Shannon Place, Virginia 4014
(07) 3265 6969